Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Prayer

I pray you'll be our eyes, and watch us where we go, and help us to be wise, in times when we don't know. Let this be our prayer when we lose our way, lead us to a place, guide us with your grace, to a place where we'll be safe.
I pray we'll find your light and hold it in our hearts, when the stars go out each night, remind us where you are. Let this be our prayer when shadows fill our days, lead us to a place, guide us with your grace, to a place where we'll be safe.
A world where pain and sorrow will be ended, and every heart that's broken will be mended, and we'll remember we are all God's children, reaching out to touch you, reaching to the sky.
We ask that life be kind, watch us from above. We hope each soul will find another soul to love. Let this be our prayer, just like every child who needs to find a place, guide us with your grace, give us faith so we'll be safe.
Lead us to a place, guide us with your grace, give us faith so we'll be safe.

This is one of my favorite songs. If you're looking for a version to listen to (which I HIGHLY recommend, especially if you love harmony), my pick is the one with David Phelps and Lauren Talley. Breathtaking.

I love this song, partly because of its' beautiful harmony, and partly because of its' simple and honest message. I've always been a believer in the honesty and reality of music.... I think it speaks to our souls in a way that words alone can't quite accomplish.
What I truly love about the message of this music is the idea of my prayer being that of honesty. That of a need for guidance, and a need for faith.
I think our world is crying out for redemption and love. Someone being willing to protect you, and guide you. To love you, despite your most embarassing flaws and deepest scars.
I think that, maybe, that's all anyone really needs in life. To feel accepted. To feel safe.

Today I've been thinking a lot about how I could help those around me feel safe. To feel complete, and fulfilled.
We're in such constant competition with each other. We poke and prod, we beg to be better. Every moment of every day is filled with a need to beat the other guy. From the way we look, to the people we love, to the jobs we drive to every morning.
How different might our worlds look if we all tried to fulfill this inherent need in other people, by just a fraction? If, in coming in contact with those whom I love, I strove to leave them feeling safe in relationship with me? If I was able to provide an inch of healing for their broken hearts?
I want to be a woman focused on leaving others with a sense of security in relationship. To assure them of their importance, and remind them not only who they are, but whose they are. To fully live out the phrase: "Nothing you could do would make me love you less."
I don't know what it's going to take. And honestly, I don't know if it's feasible... this whole "loving without boundaries" thing. It makes you vulnerable. It opens a person up to heartache in a way that is so tangible.
But goodness... if people walked away from you, knowing that, at least for a second, they were worth it. They were ok.... How transforming could that be?
Here's to transformative love.

Blessings on you and yours,
Amanda Christine

No comments: