Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Jelly Chronicles: Part 2



For those of you who missed the first installment of the Jelly Chronicles, I'll briefly catch you up. This is my puppy, Jelly McAdams. I know, I know. She's a cutie patootie.

Jelly is a black lab, almost a year and a half old. I describe our current stage in life together as the "Marley and Me" stage. That is to say, I love her all the time... but many days, I don't like the little gooberhead. She's crazy!


Jelly loves many strange things. To be quite honest, I'd argue that she is the most peculiar little pup in the history of puppies.

Let me elaborate on the weird little quirks that are Jelly Elizabeth McAdams.


Jelly, as a normal pup, loves to whine. Yes, she is a whiner extraordinaire. In typical puppy fashion, she does so on a regular basis. But Jelly's very favorite time of the day to whine is at 3am. Apparently there's something magical about this bewitching hour... Because it's Jelly Belly's very favorite time to wake up. For those of you who are unaware, Jelly can snore with the best of 'em. I'd venture to say that she could enter some kind of contest. She sleeps, habitually, in her cage in the corner of my room. When she was a puppy she slept on top of me... but let's be real, now that she weighs close to 80 lbs, I'd probably suffocate.

Anyways... It's become a regular occurance for the snoring to cease around 2:45, and around 3 the whining starts.

Now bear in mind, this is no "I'm a puppy and I'm bored in the middle of the night" whining. This is "MOM I'M BORED AND I CAN'T SLEEP SO NEITHER CAN YOU" whining. I'm telling you people... I should give puppy dogs to all of my teenage clients who have tendency to become young mothers. It would be the best form of birth control. ;)

But don't worry devoted readers, I have found the one and only solution: Sleeping on the floor next to her cage. Nothing... I repeat: NOTHING else works. She doesn't want to be in bed with me, she doesn't want to go play outside... she just wants me laying on the floor beside her. So fifty years from now, when I'm suffering from a bad back and premature arthritis.... you will all know why. And you are also prohibited from laughing at the thought of me, curled on the floor with my blanket and pillow, right beside my bed. Just so my crazy dog will stop whining and sleep through the night.


Jelly also has an appetite that rivals that of a full grown elephant. I'm telling you people, there is no quenching this pup's appetite. I can't seem to buy food for her at the store before I'm pouring the last of it for her to eat. The girl loves her Kibble.

What's more impressive is her drinking habits. From the time she was a teensy puppy, Jelly has loved to knock over her water bowl. It's her absolute favorite game. I'll use the water hose to fill up the waterbowl... because of course I keep it outside... and Jelly will enjoy the spurts of water from the spigot. But the moment that bowl is full, she dives in, head first. As soon as she can move enough water to make the bowl lighter, that thing is tipped on its' side. I don't know what it is about this ever-so-endearing habit... but Jelly thinks it's hilarious. Her mother, on the other hand, does not concur.


Jelly has also always loved going on walks. Well... more like runs. I've explained before, in detail, our exploits on the way to campus in order to run around the trail. Jelly loves to drive.

But lately, our new favorite pasttime is playing catch in the backyard. This is fun for me because I don't have to get her leash out and load her in the car.... or take her on the incredibly unappealing walk around our neighborhood. This way, Jelly gets out tons of energy, and I can pretty much stand around. Lazy, I know. But hey... I go to the gym!

So Jelly Beth loves to play fetch. Granted, she's still grasping the concept of letting go of the fetching item once she's retrieved it, but hey... she's learning. Today while we were playing, she got so excited that she ran right past the thrown toy and had to make a circle to find it. That dog... she's after my very heart.


Many people say that having a dog in college isn't a good idea. It ties ya down... gives you yet another deposit to pay at a house... and it leaves you tied to staying at home and taking care of it. But I'll say this... through all the early morning floor sleepovers, the chewed up flip flops, and the slobber on my jeans... she always loves.

So here's to the most annoying, smelly, slobbery, and best friend I've ever had. Love you Jelly Belly.


Have a blessed day. :)

Amanda Christine

No comments: